NorthPoint shares 3D visual concepts with residents
Local community meetings part of long-term commitment to Elwood residents, neighbors
ELWOOD, Ill. (July 27, 2017) – NorthPoint Development shared new, computer-animated visual concepts this week with Elwood residents along South Street and in Shady Nook as part of its responsive plan to build Compass Business Park east of Route 53.
NorthPoint met with South Street residents Tuesday and Shady Nook residents Thursday for working sessions dedicated to addressing specific community concerns. These working sessions are follow-ups to the community open house NorthPoint hosted at Village Hall last month, and they give local residents an opportunity to work with …[read more]
Empowering the Community
Capturing the growing demand to benefit area residents
Controlling Truck Traffic
Dedicating a “closed loop” to keep trucks off local roads
Partnering with Elwood
Building meaningful relationships and career opportunities
Generating Economic Growth
Providing long-term economic benefits to the community
No Risk to Taxpayers
Bringing risk-free investment to Village and taxpayers
- During the last 10 years, Will County has experienced a 138 percent growth in freight, compared to: Chicago (10 percent); Kansas City (9 percent); Los Angeles (4 percent); and Memphis (3 percent).
- Recent expansion efforts at the BNSF Logistics Park in Elwood added five strip tracks and state-of-the-art equipment to improve efficiency and capacity. BNSF recently expanded, increasing the number of lifts by 50 percent to 1.5 million lifts annually from 1 million shipping containers passing through the area.
- Since opening in 2010, the Union Pacific’s Global IV Terminal in south Joliet has reached its full capacity, more than quadrupling its number of lifts annually from 118,461 in 2010 to 499,306 in 2016. The terminal has reached its capacity and plans to expand the intermodal are under way.
- Expansion at the intermodals means more volume, more trucks and more demand for warehousing along the Route 53 Corridor. As a result, more commercially zoned property and warehouse development are surrounding Village borders to the north and east, and more is needed to meet the demand. Larger warehouses are popping up closer to Elwood on Route 53.
- By annexing vital unincorporated land into Elwood east of Route 53, the Village benefits from long-term revenue and new projects that align with the needs of the community.
- NorthPoint is working with Village officials to ensure safe design, construction and operations.
Empowering the Community
More warehousing and distribution are going up along the Route 53 Corridor to meet the demand created by the UP and BNSF facilities. The Village of Elwood has an opportunity to capture this demand to benefit area residents.
We are committed to listening to the community and welcome your feedback to hear your ideas, concerns and needs.